From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-21 19:10:10

Cliff Green wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:21:09 -0700
> "Sohail Somani" <s.somani_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> My colleague just showed me a very concise example of
>> how he created a
>> service that can be registered with Windows. The same
>> code works for
>> Unix as well.
>>
>> I don't think there are any boost libraries that can do
>> this yet.
>>

> Agreed, and as I noted there's other components of POCO
> that are not (yet) in Boost (in particular, XML parsers).
> So what about someone submitting a "service" library for
> Boost? (I'm not sure what the definition of a service is -
> I'm a little bit familiar with Windows services, and the
> same for Unix daemons, but not sure what the higher-level
> abstraction for both would be, since the details of both
> OS facilities have some significant differences.)

This is something that could be part of boost.process which is an SOC project
in the works now:

https://boost-consulting.com:8443/trac/soc/wiki/process

Julio and I have at least discussed that this could either be part or an
extension of the core library -- see the bottom of:

https://boost-consulting.com:8443/trac/soc/wiki/process/DesignThoughts/Discussion

If you really want to see this functionality it would be good to say so.

Jeff