From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-25 09:38:00

Hi Gennaro,

Gennaro Prota <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> long time I wanted to ask this: why do we use the vault rather
> than the boost sandbox? Wouldn't the latter make our lives
> much easier?

Do you mean the sandbox CVS? I think the vault is more
appropriate for stuff that's mentioned in mailing list
discussion. It is usually simpler to download a single package
using a web browser than to check out something from CVS, and
not all readers may have access to CVS or the ability to check
out from repositories not on their own network. Also if you
check out of CVS you won't get documentation that's normally
prebuilt into a download package.

> After all, once a library is finalized we could even delete it
> from there, if pollution is a problem, but at least we would
> have a clear view of the changes and a straightforward way to
> get the latest version without having to remember that a new
> one was announced on the list :-)

Maybe there's another solution that meets the requirements of
libraries that aren't yet in an official boost release? A page
on www.boost.org that links to the latest download packages for
the in-development libraries, perhaps?

Cheers,
Chris