From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-16 11:31:34

Hello,

During the past two-three months Jeff Garland (as mentor) and I have
been working on the Boost Summer of Code project whose goal was to
implement a library to spawn and manage child processes. A little
introduction and a link to the source code can be found here:

    https://www.boost-consulting.com:8443/trac/soc/wiki/process

But you'll probably want to go straight to the documentation which
includes, among many other information, a couple of tutorials and
multiple examples. I'm keeping an up-to-date snapshot at the
following URL:

    http://www.NetBSD.org/~jmmv/process/

If it wasn't for the imminent SoC deadline (next Monday), I wouldn't
present it just yet because there are still a couple of important
issues that I would like to see resolved as soon as possible:

First is the lack of a "design decisions" chapter in the
documentation. This is not an extremely big issue because the Wiki
page linked above already contains many discussions on the library's
current design. In other words, that chapter will end up summarizing
the information in there and adding few new things.

Second, and very important, is the "need" to integrate the library
with Boost.Asio to allow asynchronous management of communication
streams and process termination. Unfortunately it does not support
such asynchronous events yet, and integrating with Boost.Asio sounds
like a reasonable approach to cover this area.

Anyway, I wouldn't like this to discourage you from taking a look at
the documentation and code. The library is already big enough to let
you get a general idea on its focus and design. You can start
criticising now! ;-) Sincerely, any constructive comments will be
certainly appreciated.

Thank you.

PS: I'd be great if you could attempt to run the test suite on any
platform not listed in the "Platforms and compilers" chapter.

PSS: I hope to continue working on it after SoC is officially over.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/