From: Bernhard Reiter (ockham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-21 10:36:35

Hello to all,

as time's almost over for this year's Summer of Code, I'll join my
fellow SoCers in presenting the resulting projects.

I've been working on what was entitled a "Generic tree container" in the
original Boost SoC suggestions wiki; but having discovered that most
people were looking much more for some unifying concepts dealing with
the similarities found in the vast diversity of existing tree designs, I
sought to expand the scope of my work towards e.g. all kinds of search
trees that my original proposal hadn't covered.

I believe that I've distilled a couple of quite powerful concepts from
the resources I reviewed; but as you might guess, this took more time
than anticipated so that I can only present a very incomplete
implementation of what I came up with.

The code can be obtained via svn from
https://www.boost-consulting.com:8443/svn/main/boost/soc/2006/tree/trunk
or viewed in a browser at
https://boost-consulting.com:8443/trac/soc/browser/boost/soc/2006/tree/trunk

At the moment, there is only an unbalanced binary tree (including a
"cursor" class), a couple of traversal and search algorithms, plus a
"searcher" adaptor. For more information about the individual
components, please refer to the documentation at
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0057324/php/soc2006/doc/html/

Again, please keep in mind that neither code nor documentation are
complete enough to be regarded a proper tree framework library -- which
I intend them to be eventually, however.

For now, I'll again join other SoCers, this time trying to catch some
sun; I'll be leaving tomorrow (22nd) morning (CEST) for about a week of
vacations.

After that, I'll have another month until my university classes start
again, which coincides with the deadline for TR2 submission. Now I know
the following might seem a little ambitious, but: given the amount of
literature and newsgroup/mailing list posts dealing with trees and C++,
there seems to have been interest in an STL tree component about since
the standard came out. So I'd like to try to refine especially the
conceptual documentation parts first when I come back, implement what's
still missing, and, with the help of some more experienced souls than I
am, submit a proposal for TR2... (Or am I just dreaming?)

Any comments very welcome.

Grateful for an awesome experience,
Bernhard