From: Greer, Joe (jgreer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-23 13:51:53

> FWIW If I use a hefty spanner to undo a rusty bolt, then the bolt
heats up
> as I
> unscrew it. I guess the heat energy gained by the bolt is directly
> equivalent to
> the torque I had to apply to undo it. OTOH therefore one would think
> that
> applying heat to a rusty bolt should make it unscrew itself but
> unfortunately
> for some reason I have never been able to get that to work ! ;-)
>
> regards
> Andy Little

As a former Ironworker, I can tell you that if you apply enough heat,
the rust will often pop right off. If that doesn't work, then you apply
even more and... what bolt was that you were talking about...

Just had to chime in from the peanut gallery.

Also, make sure that you are solving problems that are really likely to
occur. It is nice to be as absolutely type safe as possible, but often
that gets in the way of getting real work done as well. Just a thought.

joe