From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-24 00:17:09

On Aug 24, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Eric Lemings wrote:

> [...]

OK, but then a quantity can never be represented in the computer,
since to assign a numerical value to above distance one needs a unit.

>>> - a torque measured in Nm or an energy measured in Nm
>> would be two distinct units
>
> Dimensions and units are C++ types. They have no "value" in
> the conventional sense.

OK, so would the type of "Nm torque" or "Nm energy" be the same or
different?

>>> - 1 Nm as torque, 1 Nm as energy or 1 J as energy would be
>>> three distinct measures
>>
>> I think as far as a dimensionality checking goes, they are
>> all the same. As far as a units checking goes, Nm and J
>> *could* be distinguished. It's an interesting question as to
>> what, exactly, "energy" and "torque" are once you try to
>> separate away the dimensionality and units bits... :-)
>
> Yep, if the units are the same and the value is the same then
> they are (or should be) considered the same measure. I think
> it should be left up to users to interpret these measures and
> how they are used.

Well, as a physicist for me 1 J and 1 Nm are the same. I would reject
and never use a library that forces me to distinguish physically
identical quantities just because I use a different name for the unit.

Matthias