From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-24 11:11:53

Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:

> The next step is putting out a beta. Here is what I think needs to be
> done before we can call it beta.
>
> - Fix regressions with respect to the prior release. The regression
> tests still show a fair amount of "broken" fields.

Trying. I am experiencing latency problems with our distributed structure. I
think we need to somehow find/designate times when those people
working on the release are all going to try to be online (and
available via IM or skype or something). At least, that would make a
huge difference in _my_ ability to make progress. I'd like to propose a
"Boost bug day," probably on a weekend. I know this might make
unreasonable demands on people in certain hemispheres who would rather
be sleeping when the rest of us are working, but I don't know how else
to handle this.

> - Update the "Getting Started" and build system documentation to reflect
> the change to build.v2.

I planned to do that long ago, but I feel as though fixing regressions
is a prerequisite. Also, many of the same communication latency
issues will apply here.

> - Make v2 the default build system (is this already so?).

That's very simple to do.

> - Fix *all* of the filename too long issues.

Yep.

> - Fix as much of the inspection issues as possible.

Yep. I'm having trouble knowing what to do with the pairs of
inspection reports that are getting sent out. How are they intended
to be read? Would it be possible to prefix each one with a short
description of how to use it?

> All in all the inspection report shows a frightening number of issues.
> What is our stance with respect to license/copyright missing?

It has to be fixed.

> At this point I think it is unrealistic to set a date for the beta as
> far as I can see. I will set a date as soon as we made some significant
> progress. If I can somehow stick your name to the outstanding issues
> expect to be bugged from now on. I guess a volunteer for the
> documentation issues would be very much appreciated.

What do you mean by "the documentation issues," specifically?

> If anyone feels like not being able to make progress due to some
> dependency please shoot me an email.

Noted above.

--
Dave Abrahams