From: Jeremy Pack (Jeremy.Pack_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-30 15:14:54

> Isnt this quite close to the description of a database?
>
> regards
> Andy Little
>

>It specifically reminds me of tuple spaces
>
>Regards,
>Michael

It could be used to implement either of these. It is especially similar
to tuple spaces.

However, it is meant for situations where a database or tuple spaces are
not precisely what is needed. If a database or tuple spaces is a good
fit for a project, there are more appropriate solutions than the code
that I am working on.

The reason I, personally, have developed this is for use in high speed
numerical software (which is why I want your opinions on its general
usefulness). I had the following design considerations:

1- I don't want to use any sort of concurrency mechanism UNLESS I decide
that the data in question should be accessible by multiple threads. That
flexibility is built in.

2- I wanted each consumer to be able to, if needed, have direct access
to the data in the repository. I did not want the software to be
required to do a lookup every time. (though it can)

3- I wanted to be able to implement the Observer pattern (callbacks when
data changes, etc.).

4- I wanted to minimize and easily track dependencies between classes.
The software I am working on that uses this libraries attempts to make
it so that most of the dependencies between classes are merely the
shared data.

As I alluded to in my previous post, a lot of the design considerations
were based on using it to facilitate the shared library class I have
been designing.

What I'm especially interested in are the following:

1- What major pitfalls do any of you see?
2- Am I replicating functionality that can easily be found elsewhere
(perhaps there is an implementation of tuple spaces that provides all of
the same functionality)?
3- What features would be desirable?

If there is enough interest, I will put up a web page about the project
and provide better details (and later interfaces and source code) about
the work. I just want to make sure that this is something that people
would be interested in using.

Thanks for the input thus far.

Jeremy Pack