From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-31 04:51:37

Gregory Dai wrote:
> Perhaps we were not on the same page. What I meant was as long as
> std::string is used as either the source or target of a lexical_cast,
> thread safety may not be guaranteed (due to lack of a guarantee by
> std::string). Though weird/bad things happen more frequently under
> heavy load and/or on multiprocessor (hyperthreading included)
> machines.

Right but what do you expect us to do about components like std::string that
are beyond our control?

In any case all the implementations I'm aware of are minimally thread safe
these days, if that's not the case I'd certainly like to hear about it. BTW
implementations that used copy-on-write in the early days almost all (all?)
switched away from that precisely because of threading issues.

John.