From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-13 22:36:58

Hi Dave!

On 9/14/06, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Watching the video about 25% through, so far I don't get what he's
> talking about or why BDD is different from what I do anyway or how it
> can benefit me.

It's really just a "clarification" of Test Driven Development. The
gist is as follows:

* Instead of emphasizing on "Tests", you emphasize "Specification".

* The assert_* line of methods leans on the "testing" and
"invalidation" of results and values. The language used is also not
very clear when using it to specify behaviour.

* Specifications are made more readable. They have an implementation
in Ruby called `RSpec' which uses a more readable framework than
`assert_something(value_tested, expected_value)' -- you can look at
http://rspec.rubyforge.org/ for more information on that.

It's not different from TDD, but it's a clarification of it. It still
follows the same concepts, only the tools are made closer to read like
you're actually specifying behavior instead of invalidating state with
asserts.

HTH!

--
Dean Michael C. Berris