From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-19 07:41:17

Anthony Williams wrote:

> The mutex algorithm is fairly simple, but I guess it's the condition
> variables that you are thinking of. I believe it to be reliable, but
> that can only be borne out with experience. Putting it on HEAD would
> allow more people to try it out, and more people would actually look
> at the code. If it's broken, I'd like to know.

Inventing mutex and condition variable algorithms is a slight cause of
concern, I have to admit. The easiest way to get a free review of the
algorithms is to post the code on comp.programming.threads and hope that
someone of the experts there has enough time to look at them. CVs in
particular have proven to be quite hard to implement correctly, and
Alexander Terekhov's "8a" algorithm has emerged as a de-facto standard.