From: Duft Markus (Markus.Duft_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-20 01:57:41

I must admit, that i never used gdb on cygwin, but it was a problem in my company, before i came in. I'm only there for porting from unix to win32, and since all other solutions didn't fit, i wrote wgcc. This doesn't meen that other solutions are bad or something, it's just that we have tons of code (our "toolsbox" consists of 115 projects, and needs about 7 hours to build on my computer - and this is just the basis of our real projects) which need to be built without much porting effort, or i would go crazy.
On the other hand debugging in visual studio is very comfortable. We all debugged in gdb, and on unix platforms, it will still stay standard (haha, there's nothing else i think, that could be used there ;o)), but on windows platforms, visual studio is simply *better*. At least thats my (and i think *our*, at the company) opinion.
With MinGW, there is the debug info problem left over, everything else should be ok there as far as i know. MinGW has still benefits over wgcc too, for example it understands gcc's specialities, like __attribute__ or whatever... Wgcc on the other hand understands microsofts specialities, and may produce faster code, but i never profiled it until now.

Cheers, Markus