From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-21 12:31:13

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:42:50 +0200, Mateusz Loskot
<mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>Today, my friend was told (warned) on the #c++ IRC channel that
>Boost uses some technologies already patented by IBM (and may be other
>entities), like RCU or SMR (and may be more).
>I have no idea if this is true or not, so I'd like to ask some questions
>regarding this warning:
>
>1. Does Boost use any patented technologies?

I don't know in general. As it concerns RCU and SMR specifically there
has been lot of work in the threads area in the latest months, so you
should probably grep into the sources (Threads, Asio, etc.). I'd be
surprised if just using the OS API (which I think is the case for
boost code) were a patent violation, though.

--
Genny.