From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-21 13:06:30

John Maddock wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, please, forgive me if this subject have been discussed
>> already, but I couldn't find anything in the lists archives and
>> Boost docs.
>>
>> Today, my friend was told (warned) on the #c++ IRC channel that
>> Boost uses some technologies already patented by IBM (and may be
>> other entities), like RCU or SMR (and may be more). I have no idea
>> if this is true or not, so I'd like to ask some questions regarding
>> this warning:
>>
>> 1. Does Boost use any patented technologies?
>
> Not knowingly, which doesn't mean that we don't of course.

John,

I see, that makes sense, certainly.

> What are RCU and SMR?

I understand it as Read-Copy-Update and Safe Memory Reclamation

> I'd be interested to know exactly what folks are saying about Boost,
> especially if it sounds a little like some FUD.

I tried to ask authors of these warnings about patents in Boost
on the #c++ and there wasn't anyone who could explain me this issue in
details.

I suppose now it's only a rumour, but nothing serious.
So, I appologize for making unnecessary noise here, but it
did scare me a little :-)

>> 2. If it does, and for example it uses some in library X, does it
>> mean I can not use library Y (without copying X) in my program
>> because of patents-derived restrictions? In other words, if Boost
>> uses any patented technologies in library X, does it influence
>> other libraries? What are implications regarding it?
>
> IANAL: and that's something you would need a lawyer for :-(

Yes that's now clear for me.
I just wanted to understand if Boost libraries are licensed as a
standalone package and if patent/licensing issues in one library may
influence another one, both live in Boost.
As I understand, Boost is a set of libraries available under common
license, Boost license, so I think that when library X breaks
some copyrights or patents then it does not influences library Y and others.
But I'll ask a lawyer, when I find a good one ;-)

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net