From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-02 17:07:13

On 10/3/06, Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 10/2/06, Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > ?? Which update? AFAIK there is no such channel yet.
>
> Not officially, no, but it does exist.

Yup, and I've been hanging out there for some time too the past couple
of days. I guess some online socialization in almost real time for
some of us would be great... Though I think the time zones are getting
in the way. *Waves "Mabuhay" From the Philippines GMT +8*

> The channel is officially unofficial, but it might be nice if the
> Powers That Be gave it their blessing as the official Boost IRC
> channel, for whatever that was worth.

Sounds like a good idea to me too. :)

> I don't think anyone expects Dave A., Robert, Rene, et al. to sit on
> IRC all day answering people's questions, but there are some smart,
> helpful folks in #boost and the conversation is generally on-topic.

Although that would be fun. But alas, time differences are a factor,
and as much as I would like to be able to chat with the people in the
Boost community, at 5:00AM from where I'm at I think I'll take the
sleep (or do some of the work that needs to be done). :D

> I think it would be nice if Boost.org pointed to the IRC channel so
> that those who were so inclined could go there for help or discussion
> that is generally more immediate than what email can provide.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you needed real time
assistance, then you might be needing a consultant -- or a helpdesk. I
generally think IRC is more for the socialization and "logged
meetings" than really any real form of "online help". Although that
might just be me. :-)

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
C++ Software Architect