From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-03 14:48:31

"Tom Brinkman" <reportbase_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
With the last finishing touches completed, i'm excited to be able to
announce that the review of Generic Image Library (GIL)
will begin October 5, in three days.

My first impression is that the library mixes many Concepts, that can
easily be separated. The first is of a display matrix, the second is of an
image. Others .. Points are Geometric Concepts. Colour is a Concept which too
could stand alone. Cursor (locator) is useful to a matrix

The concept of an display matrix could be applied elsewhere, where elements
could be for example text characters. An image can also be comprised of vector
graphics, but this subject is not touched upon in any serious way.

Colour would be useful in Vector graphics, but would deserve its own library and
I would expect to see the interface more user friendly with mappings to commonly
used colour systems such as those in HTML, SVG and VRML.

The domain that the library can be used in is very narrow. To be seriously used
for image recognition as was previously suggested an application, my guess is
that the library would need the ability to apply arbitrary transforms, including
other than 90 degree rotations, and interpolation of points, stereoscopic
vision etc.

As it stands the only use I can see is for touching up photos, and that is my
problem with it , the domain is too limited. I would suggest revisiting the
Concepts ,extracting them and then making sure that each would stand on its own.
That would be a more interesting and widely useable set of libraries.

regards
Andy Little