From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-05 07:21:29

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Nicola Musatti wrote:
>> Jeff Garland wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what there is to discuss. It didn't happen :-( And TR2
>>> submission time is over. I still want to see SOCI or the equivalent in Boost,
>>> but the authors have to bring it forward. Last I knew they were waiting to
>>> have an ODBC driver first. I didn't see the need for that, but they thought
>>> it was essential...
>> Missing the TR2 deadline was unfortunate, but probably putting together
>> a valid proposal deserved more time than was available, even with such
>> an impressive starting point such as SOCI.
>
> I think there was more than enough time. I tried to talk everyone working on
> the various database libraries to work together to bring a proposal. I didn't
> succeed in convincing them :-(
>
>> Lately I've been trying to put together a few ideas on how I think such
>> a library should look like and I'd be happy to discuss them with anybody
>> who is interested. To get the ball rolling, here is an example of how a
>> program using my hypothetical Boost.Dbi (for DataBase Interface) library
>> might look like:
>
> <...snip detail...>
>
> Well before I even consider engaging this discussion, why not help SOCI get
> into boost instead of inventing a new interface?
> We have several proposals
> and half-finished libraries, but the real problem is that we don't have an
> actual reviewed and accepted library to put into Boost. Are you going to have
> time to really develop this library from scratch?

Jeff,

That's a very good point :-)
I believe SOCI is a very close to Boost concepts and I'd like to
encourage everyone interested in DBMS library for Boost to join
SOCI and help to boostify it.
And then, in further development steps, we can add new features we
can dream about, but first good foundation is needed and I believe
SOCI is very good basis.

Thank you for these words!

Cheers

--