From: Topher Cooper (topher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-05 19:01:29

At 01:43 PM 10/4/2006, you wrote:
>Documentation and source downloads are available online at
>www.johnmaddock.co.uk/toolkit
>
>Regards,
>
>John Maddock.

I've just started reading the documentation but I want to point out
that phrases like:

"we conclude that there is no significant difference, and accept the
null hypothesis"

are likely to interfere with any statistician taking the package
seriously (unjustly, I think -- the statistics may be weak but you've
obviously worked hard at the numerics, which is what you are supplying).

One never, ever "accepts the null hypothesis." One collects evidence
and on that basis you either reject the null hypothesis or fail to
reject it. The point is that you don't ever really have evidence
*for* the null hypothesis, only a lack of evidence against it. It is
quite a different thing to say "any difference in the means in this
test is statistically insignificant" than to say "This test gives me
an objective reason to believe that the difference in the means is
exactly 0 (i.e., the null hypothesis) rather than, say, 1.0E-23
(which is as much a part of the alternate hypothesis as is
1.0E+23)". Or in other words, the lack of evidence of a difference
should not be taken as evidence of a lack of difference.

Topher