From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-08 13:02:44

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Maybe someone could clarify something for me.
>
> My understanding of the C++ standard for libraries is that
> the interface and semantics are defined by the standard
> but that actual implementation is purposely left undefined.
>
> Hence, adding say regex to the standard doesn't add any
> code to the standard.

I don't know what you mean by "add code to the standard."

> It just certifies that anything that claims to be compatible with
> the C++ regex standard works as the standard says it does.

No, it says that any C++ implementation that claims to be standard
compliant contains a conforming regex implementation. There have as
yet been no moves toward "subsetting" of the C++ standard (other than
the "hosted"/"non-hosted" distinction -- look it up if you care).
Either an implementation provides everything the standard specifies,
and can therefore claim compliance, or not. There's not going to be a
separate "C++ regex standard."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting