From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-09 15:24:16

David Abrahams wrote:
> Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:

>>> There are lots of people who don't have permission to use any
>>> libraries that aren't either standard or shipped by Microsoft.
>>
>> Yeah, I concur with that. In my experience, there's still alot of
>> folks that can't use Boost because they are basically required to
>> *buy* the things they use for development or for some other legal
>> reasons I could never understand.
>
> FWIW, Boost Consulting will be happy to sell them a DVD.

I bet this would actually satisfy the concerns of at least a few
companies. Their concerns are really based on subjective
concerns and having a physical DVD with a printed label
and a signed licence agreement might be all they need.

Actually, I think that would be really, really helpful if it could be
justified to more heavily promote such a product. I would hope,
but of course don't know, that such promotion would pay for
itself in sales and result in a wider distribution of the "boost way".

I'm astounded
at the number of C++ programmers I run accross that have
never even heard of boost. Development of a "profit-making"
arm - sort of a mini RedHat would be very helpful. I suppose
that Boost Consulting already fullfills this role to the extent that it
can be profitable.

Robert Ramey