From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-09 15:28:26

Dave Steffen wrote:
> Rene Rivera writes:
>> loufoque wrote:
>>> So we should put boost into the standard library because of the
>>> stupidity of some companies or team leaders ?
>>
>> Some of those "companies" have no choice. For example a government
>> contractor must comply with regulatory restrictions, many of which
>> correspond to some form of international or US standards.
>
> < someone 'way in the back raises a hand >
>
> It can be much worse. When working on classified projects (at least
> here in the USA), _any_ software brought in from "outside" has to
> undergo rigorious inspection and screening; this can take weeks, or
> even months if one has to go through various other agencies,
> committees, etc.
>
> The process and requirements have nothing whatsoever to do with the
> contractor, and everything to do with government security
> regulations.

I don't see that having the interface for such software in a standard
would effect this problem. The implementation would have to be
screened in any case.

Of course if one is using a library which has already been screened
in a different or related project, presumably that code - if it hasn't been
changed - will be acceptable for the current one. But for that to
work one needs to have better portability than we now have.

Robert Ramey