From: Dave Steffen (dgsteffen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-09 16:38:05

Robert Ramey writes:
> Dave Steffen wrote:
> > Rene Rivera writes:
> >>
> >> Some of those "companies" have no choice. For example a government
> >> contractor must comply with regulatory restrictions, many of which
> >> correspond to some form of international or US standards.
> >
> > < someone 'way in the back raises a hand >
> >
> > It can be much worse. When working on classified projects (at least
> > here in the USA), _any_ software brought in from "outside" has to
> > undergo rigorious inspection and screening; this can take weeks, or
> > even months if one has to go through various other agencies,
> > committees, etc.
> >
> > The process and requirements have nothing whatsoever to do with the
> > contractor, and everything to do with government security
> > regulations.
>
> I don't see that having the interface for such software in a standard
> would effect this problem. The implementation would have to be
> screened in any case.

 Well, the difference is that the standard library comes with the
 compiler, whereas Boost doesn't; it's one (potentially expensive)
 process vs. two. I was simply pointing out one extreme case of Rene
 was saying above: some companies have no choice about the conditions
 under which they can use Boost, and it's not necessarily because the
 team leads are stupid.

Dave Steffen, Ph.D.
Software Engineer IV Disobey this command!
Numerica Corporation
ph (970) 419-8343 x27
fax (970) 223-6797 - Douglas Hofstadter
dgsteffen_at_[hidden]
___________________
Numerica Disclaimer:
This message and any attachments are intended only for the individual
or entity to which the message is addressed. It is proprietary and
may contain privileged information. If you are neither the intended
recipient nor the agent responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in reliance
upon, the information in this communication is strictly prohibited,
and may be unlawful. If you feel you have received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by returning this Email to the
sender and deleting it from your computer.