From: Jeremy Pack (jeremy.pack_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-09 18:04:01

Janek and Robert (and others),

First of all, the library that I'm working on does use the Serialization
library, but not to the level that Robert is suggesting.

Two points:

1 - The exporting of classes from a dll or whatever is not a terribly
difficult part to implement - if this were all that I needed, I would not
have started my own library. However, I agree that this part SHOULD use
boost::serialization (not reusing already proven code would be a mistake in
this case). As long as the way that has been suggested will meet a few
criteria, I think work should immediately begin on doing it using Robert's
suggestion. I will check through the extended_type_info documentation to see
if it will be able to provide each of the requirements that I feel
necessary. It sounds like it does.

2 - The primary requirement that is important to me is tracking dependencies
between loadable objects. I'm working on a relatively flexible way of
handling that. I think it is a vital part of making this library more useful
than just a classloader. It's also, I think, the hardest and most subjective
part.

I will still attempt to get my code posted, keeping in mind that most of the
object loading will probably be completely rewritten to use
extended_type_info.

Robert, if you have the time, I believe your experience creating the
boost::serialization library would make you the most qualified to head up
the effort to create a plugin library for Boost. Even if you don't have that
kind of time, your continuing input would be very appreciated.

Either way, hopefully my code could be a good launching point for this. I
hope to have it posted in a few days.

One important question: should we avoid requiring RTTI? Should
boost::serialization make it unnecessary? I'm currently using a dynamic cast
or two, mostly just for type safety. I know that certain older compilers
have a problem with that (Borland at one time, perhaps still, cannot handle
RTTI in DLLs correctly for instance), and it might annoy people to have to
remember to enable it on those that do not.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Jeremy Pack