From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-10 22:48:47

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote
> Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> > "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote
> >
> >> At the end of the story, it may be that the committee can never do
enough
> >> because languages like Java have libraries that are so extensive and so
> >> deeply
> >> funded that C++ can never compete with volunteer labor.
> >
> > The major problem IMO is that the "volunteer labor" inevitably prefers
> > development for fun to commercially-justified development. This drives
> > inovation, but hurts competition. Where are sockets, database access,
etc.?

> Well, I suppose. In the cases you mention, I think these are just harder
> problems. These are hard enough that it's best to have a group and groups
are
> harder than single programmers. That said, these are in the pipeline :-)
>
> http://asio.sourceforge.net/
> http://soci.sourceforge.net/

Right, in the pipeline... just 8 years after Boost was started :-(

OTOH, we do have two (!) great regular expression libraries...

Can you imagine something like this happenning to Java or C#?

IMHO, it's not about not having enough libraries. It's just about not
having those particular libraries that are considered most important by the
corporate world.

The problem is that C++ and, let's say, Java exist in two different
dimensions. Java is a product of commercial world, so in the commercial
world it is playing on its own territory. Java is developed to be
commercially successfull.

C++ (at it's current state) is a totaly different animal. It's mostly being
developed by the non-commercial entities, like the standard committee, open
source movement, etc. So it almost looks like a volonteer research project.
And as such, there is a great amount of inovation, but not a lot of ability
to compete in the commercial world. Open source is just designed to deliver
certain kind of libraries, but not another... So, in the corporate world, I
think, C++ is rapidly loosing it's ground. It is still strong, but mostly
because of huge amount of legacy code. A lot of new development is being
started in either C# or Java.

This is a shame, IMO. I do believe that C++ is a much better language...

Interestingly, I think recently C++ received some boost from the commercial
world. This happened when MSFT (for whatever reason) decided to revamp
their C++ compiler. Just try to imagine where C++ community would be now
without VC7.1/8.0...

I think both inovation and commercial development are equally important.
C++ currently has a lot of inovation, but that's it. Because of this it's
loosing the competition. The only way out IMO is to somehow exploit
whatever commercial interest in C++ there exist out there. I have no idea
how to achieve this and whether it is possible at all, but if this doesn't
happen we will all need to switch to C# or Java (at least to earn our
living) in not so distant future :-(

Regards,
Arkadiy