From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-10 22:52:38

Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote
>> Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
>
> Interestingly, I think recently C++ received some boost from the commercial
> world. This happened when MSFT (for whatever reason) decided to revamp
> their C++ compiler. Just try to imagine where C++ community would be now
> without VC7.1/8.0...

Unfortunately for .Net programming, which is certainly the programming
which most companies will do from now on with Microsoft's Visual Studio,
both C# and VB .Net were given a 4 year headstart over C++. Even after 4
years, with the release of .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005, there are
still problems with C++ .Net programming which Microsoft has still not
ironed out and if one does web application programming using ASP .Net
one can not use C++ directly for the code which manipulates the web
page, but only C# or VB .Net.

If one reads the ads for programmers in .Net, 95%+ of them are for C#,
4.9% of them are for VB .Net and the rest is for C++. Actually I have
never seen a single ad anywhere on Internet job boards for C++ .Net
programming, but I imagine one exists somewhere.

While Microsoft can be commended for raising the level of their compiler
in VC7.1 and VC8, the truth is that where it matters commercially almost
no new future work is being done in C++ and .Net, and this is directly
the "fault" of Microsoft.