From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-13 09:19:59

On 10/13/06, Martin Adrian <adrianm_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> shams <shams <at> orcon.net.nz> writes:
>
> Why is
>
> boost::super_string ss(s)
> ss.trim()
>
> easier than
>
> boost::trim(s)

I don't want to speak for Jeff, but I think the intention was not to
replace the free functions, but rather to use them in the super_string
implementation and expose them through member functions. So to your
question, one could answer, "It might not be easier for you. If that
is the case you are free to use string_algo, or regex, or format."

The free functions definitely still have a place. For instance, the
string_algo library can accept iterator_ranges, whereas the
super_string could only operate on iterators within its own underlying
string (forgive me if I'm mistaken, Jeff).

I think super_string could co-exist with the other Boost string
manipulation libraries quite happily.

--Michael