From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-16 09:53:50

On 10/16/06, koethe_at_[hidden] <
koethe_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Due to the renewed interest in image libraries, I'd like to repeat my
> offer now -- I still think that boost would be a good home for VIGRA.
> I also consider some integration with GIL an option, although one has
> to check what is technically possible and can be done by volunteers.
> In any case, I like GIL's extensive use of the view concept.

It would be great news if the GIL authors and yourself can manage to
integrate both libraries.

I haven't sent my GIL review, but while GIL provides a sound design it
would benefit most by combining with the more mature VIGRA library.

I believe that GIL without a broad set of imaging algorithms is
not very useful (although there is an expectation that many will contribute
algorithms, I don't think it is realistic !). On the other hand, you provide
a broad set of algorithm implementations (not just image processing) that
have been available for several years (and that have improved the
design of the core imaging libray)

One approach, assuming GIL authors cooperation, would be to add what's
missing to GIL (as you discuss in other messages) and then have
a common unique image container library that the algorithms can be ported
to.

thank you for offering the VIGRA library !