Boost logo

Boost :

From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 11:17:32

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Hmmm - This is a surprise to me. The serialization library includes
>> some shell scripts
>> which users can use to test test their own archives. The scripts
>> use v1. It would
>> seem to me that that its not a great idea to make any change at all
>> between the packages
>> which are being tested as RC_1_34_0 and those to be released.
> Most regression runners use V2 at the moment.
> As for the scripts -- you mean Then, it's not a big
> problem:
> 1. Remove ALL_LOCATE_TARGET setting
> 2. Change -sTOOLS= to toolset=
> 3. Add --v2 option to process_jam_logs and compiler_status.

OK thanks for this.

> In fact, I don't know what is compiler_status2 program is -- I don't
> see any by this name in tools directory. Did you some local changes
> and then
> added '2' to the name?

Yes, the modified source is in the vault.

> If so, those tests won't run with vanilla Boost
anyway, or am I missing something?

OK. This isn't a HUGE problem.

But my larger point is that once the decision is made to "branch for
then only the last bug fixes should go into the branch. In my view it was a
grave error to "branch for release" and then declare - we're going to
with V2. Much better would be to say: Hence forth in the HEAD - only V2
will be used. Then after a while when the HEAD seems to be running pretty
smoothly, then "branch for release" and make the last changes. In other
changes/additions for features shouldn't be made in a release branch. That
ends up consuming lots of time.

Robert Ramey

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at