From: Daniel Wesslén (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-05 09:36:36

Michael Fawcett wrote:
> I guess my last question is (not to you directly, just Boost
> developers in general) - I wonder if either of our swizzle
> implementations would be considered useful to ublas or MTL (
> http://osl.iu.edu/research/mtl/ )?
>
> I use swizzling all the time (and more than just xyz) but it's in
> actual shaders using Cg, not C++ code. I'm not sure if that's because
> I have never had them exposed to me in C++, or if I have just not
> needed them.
>
> I think swizzling tends to be used mostly in graphics programming, and
> neither ublas nor MTL describe that as their problem domain. Perhaps
> it's too specific to be included with those libraries. I notice that
> that Vault - Graphics folder is empty...maybe some OpenGL work needs
> to be done.

I use swizzling all the time in shaders as well, but not in C++. I used
to - back when I started writing the library - but that was before
capable programmable GPUs were mainstream and we actually used C++ for
vertex transformations and such.

As far as I know, "we" are the only ones who use swizzling, but that may
well just be my ignorance talking...

--
Daniel Wesslén