From: Franck Stauffer (franck_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-07 11:23:51

On Dec 7, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Neal Becker wrote:

> I should explain that the previous was a simple outline.
>
> I was thinking trap_1d::operator() does the complete integration.
> It will
> need more information to specify the desired precision. I'm
> thinking these
> additional arguments could be passed to trap_1d::operator() or
> could be
> constructor args.

Ok...then we ought to discuss those extra parameters as well:

1. Precision: what should be its type? Return type would be natural,
but it is problematic for complex integrands.
2. How to evaluate if the desired precision is reached? In the code I
uploaded I explicitely let the user use it's own predicate, which I
would say is important especially as some people would like to
compare things in ULPs.

> The reason trap_1d is a functor is just because I wanted to have
> arg_t and
> res_t be template parameters, and I wanted to have default values
> for them.
> This gives the best of all worlds. You can overide these types by
> specifying non-defaults, or you can specialize the arg or res
> templates, or
> you can use the default arg and res templates which are designed to
> work
> with functions of the style std::unary_function (sorry, I didn't
> check the
> spellings on the type names).

That's just fine with me :-) What do other people think aboout all this?