From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-07 19:23:27

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Mark Blewett wrote:
>
>> I haven't studied the documentation in detail but from the SOCI
>> Rationale FAQ (http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/rationale.html)
>>
>> "The basic SOCI syntax was inspired by the Embedded SQL, which is part
>> of the SQL standard, supported by the major DB technologies and even
>> available as built-in part of the languages used in some DB-oriented
>> integrated development environments."
>>
>> I'd agree with Paul Bristow about using boost.sql.

I like it too.
It also indicates that the (SOCI) library provides data
access based on SQL. In fact, it is strongly based on SQL, so it also
determines what data sources can be supported - SQL-based.

>> For me SQL implies a method of accessing a relational database and is
>> also an obvious and well know concept.
>
> Well, actually this isn't a good name because SOCI isn't really an SQL
> handling library. In fact it explicitly avoids sql and focuses more on
> database access.

Yes, but I can't think (now) about using SOCI with data source which
doesn't support SQL as mechanism for operating data.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net