From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-15 11:56:00

> "Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>>> Not clear cut at all. When operating on a sequence where all the
>>> types are different, the version with variant will be both slower and
>>> larger.
>>
>> I love these performance "estimations"
>>
>> Do you have any numbers to sustain this?
>
> No, sorry. It's simply obvious.
>
> Feel free to prove me wrong if it isn't obvious to you.

Nah. I don't really care. Just that after many years of optimizing
performance critical code I gave up doing any "estimations". I was proven
wrong too many times, so that even test program is not real prove. There
are way too many factors that affect performance of real-life applications.
Sometimes the same code compiled with different compilers of in different
hardware will exhibit completely different performance pattern. We could
talk about trends. And in this case I believe trends could be different
depending on circumstances.

Gennadiy