From: Bo Persson (bop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-20 14:49:30

Christopher Kohlhoff wrote:
> Sebastian Redl wrote:
>
>> But it is not "such a library". It's just code that wants to use
>> the networking features of Windows. Every source file dealing in
>> networking stuff, since the creation of winsock2, has had to deal
>> with the same problem: define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN or grab winsock2
>> before windows. It has always been the rule on Windows that you
>> have to get the networking stuff before the other stuff. I don't
>> see that as a valid blocking reason. (All right, so my view may be
>> idealistic. Still, didn't we, as the programmers, have to deal
>> with this long enough? Isn't it about time MS looked forward for
>> their headers? How much code that actually requires Winsock1 will
>> be compiled on VS.Net 2007 or 08 or whatever the next version will
>> be?)
>
> I'm not holding my breath ;)

Neither am I.

It is not like MS is an entity that provides a global consistent view of all
its products.

The windows.h header (and subcomponents) is the definition of the Win32 API
in glorious C-style provided by the OS implementers.

Their view is: "If any C++ compiler cannot handle that - tough!".

Talk about an immovable object!

Bo Persson