From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-01 10:45:46

> I am trying to look into this (for thread).
>
> However the doc build process does look to me like black magic. Also I
> could not find anywhere the rationale why building the docs does
> overwrite files that are under source control.
>
> I am trying to compile the doc from BOOST_ROOT/doc. Is this the wrong
> place?

Nope, that's where I built from.

> Then the process generates files under bin.v2, which is what I
> expected.
> But surprisingly also files under:
>
> doc/xml
> doc/html
> and under libs/
>
> are generated. Even uglier: some files which are under source control
> are overwritten!

Yep, we have "placeholders" that redirect to the nightly doc build, but when
the release is put together these get overwritten with the "true" versions.

> Nevertheless the docs were built, and I logged everything. Nowhere I
> could find the "Citation to nonexistent publication abbrev:".
>
> How did you get this?

Just as you did: built from /doc under win32 on the release branch. I've
just done another cvs update so I'll try again.

John.