From: Graham Bennett (graham-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-09 18:43:46

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate whether some applications which use Boost are
exposed to problems with the change to the start and end dates of
Daylight Saving Time in the US this year
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005#Change_to_daylight_saving_time).

>From an initial inspection, it seems there are at least two areas which
may cause incorrect behaviour after the change is made:

 - There is a deprecated template class boost::date_time::us_dst_rules
   (http://www.boost.org/boost/date_time/dst_rules.hpp) which hard-codes
the rules for US DST changes. Admittedly this class is deprecated, but
it remains in the code base.

 - Boost ships with a database of timezone and DST information in CSV
   format. This appears to contain the old dates for the DST changeover
as reported here
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1478619&group_id=7586&atid=207586.

Does the above seem right? Also, have these problems been fixed in the
upcoming 1.34 release? From a quick scan of CVS it seems not.

I'd also be grateful if people could comment on any other areas within
Boost that could be problematic, if any.

Lastly I wonder if it's worth perhaps summarising this on the Boost site
somewhere so that it's easier for others to find the information.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

--
Graham Bennett