From: Jeff F (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-12 12:26:56

Emre Turkay wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Attached is the csv_ostream_iterator class, I frequently use. I
>> think it could be incorporated into the boost.iterator library (if
>> there is no such thing somewhere in the standart or in some boost
>> library so far.)
>>
>> What it does is very similar to the std::ostream_iterator, the only
>> difference is that it does not put a delimiter after the last element
>> inserted. Such as when we write an integer container to a stream
>> with a
>> comma delimiter, we get something like this: { 1, 7, 12, 5, 8, }
>> however by using this class the last delimiter is gone { 1, 7, 12,
>> 5, 8 } which is mostly the intended behavior.
>>
>> It can be used for textual data generation (for correct CSVs and good
>> looking XMLs) including code generation.
>>
>> Note: Works with gcc-4.x, may needs to be modified to be portable.

IIRC, Jonathan Turkanis, the original author of the boost.iostreams had
proposed a more general facility. There was much discussion on this mailing
list at the time. I don't remember if it made it to a formal review, but it
didn't go anywhere after that. I haven't seen Jonathan on this list in quite
a while.

Jeff Flinn