From: Kevin Barry (ta0kira_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-15 21:46:49

I currently maintain a very simple C++ template library used to encapsulate objects to protect them from modification except for by authorized accessor objects. These accessor objects are allowed access to the encapsulated objects via a member function they define for the express purpose of processing or viewing those objects. This limits each object with access to a narrow purpose (or at least to a single entry point,) effectively forcing modular (vice procedural) use of the encapsulated objects. All capsules which encapsulate these objects are polymorphically clonable.

  I've identified 2 main uses for this library:

  1) Passing information between different processing units. Rather than passing data to a static or global function which will perform a procedure, passing encapsulated objects will force that function to strictly perform operations on incoming (or "borrowed") objects using specifically designed modules.

  2) Maintaining centralized program data. Encapsulating global/semi-global data in this manner will force auxiliary units to implement concise modules instead of procedural functions to access and use centralized data.

  Possible methods of primary encapsulation: copy existing objects into private data members, derive a class to be self-encapsulating, or dynamic polymorphic storage.

  I apologize if this description is too long. This is my first encounter with this mailing list. Thank you for your consideration.
  Kevin P. Barry

It's here! Your new message!