From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-28 12:41:16

I'm fine with all of this.

In addition to what's been said, here is are a couple of other observations:

a) The issue is without spirit 1.6, one file required for xml parsing will
not build. The stops the library from being built. which makes the tests
show all failure. I copied spirit 1.6 to my machine a long time ago and
I've never had a problem testing with it. But then I only test with borland
5.51, 5.64, and msvc 6.1.

b) I would think that the "best" solution would be for the Jamfile to detect
that spirit 1.6 isn't available on a platform which requires it and skip
adding the xml_?archives to the library. So the library would build in such
a case without xml_support.

c) Similarly, tests in such circumstances would exclude tests for
xml_archives. These would then show up as blanks on the test matrix -
indicating test not performed - perfectly reasonable to me.

I believe that this idea is could be supported with the new V2 in a natural
way. I'm not sure how much jamfile gymnastics would be necessary but
hopefully it would be pretty straight forward.

Robert Ramey