From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-29 05:13:36

Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
[...]
> b) I would think that the "best" solution would be for the Jamfile to detect
> that spirit 1.6 isn't available on a platform which requires it and skip
> adding the xml_?archives to the library. So the library would build in such
> a case without xml_support.

Note that what we're discussing here is a solution for Boost 1.34 . My personal
take is that this should be the smallest, simplest change that makes it possible
to use serialization with Borland compilers and VC++ 6.5

The solution for 1.35 should be agreed upon with Joel and the other Spirit
developers; they are considering making different versions of Spirit available
at the same time within the Boost distribution. This would entail a very
different approach for future versions.

> c) Similarly, tests in such circumstances would exclude tests for
> xml_archives. These would then show up as blanks on the test matrix -
> indicating test not performed - perfectly reasonable to me.
>
> I believe that this idea is could be supported with the new V2 in a natural
> way. I'm not sure how much jamfile gymnastics would be necessary but
> hopefully it would be pretty straight forward.

I like your approach, but I think it's to late to apply it to Boost 1.34.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti