From: Matthias Schabel (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-08 13:23:59

Hi John,

> I guess from an end user POV the tools part is the least important,
> while
> special functions are important BTW because we can't get a complete
> Boost.TR1 implementation without them.

This, I would argue, lends support for the idea of breaking things up
a bit.
If some or most of the special functions are essential for TR1,
perhaps that
portion of the review should be fast-tracked to move things forward on
that front. The tools, I am sure, will be of interest, but things
like root-finding
and optimization are huge areas of interest in their own right and
will benefit
from the input of people with expertise in optimization, for example.
Keeping
them an implementation detail for the moment would give us much more
design flexibility to accommodate the outcome of those discussions.

Matthias
Matthias Schabel, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology
Utah Center for Advanced Imaging Research
729 Arapeen Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
801-587-9413 (work)
801-585-3592 (fax)
801-706-5760 (cell)
801-484-0811 (home)
matthias dot schabel at hsc dot utah dot edu