From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-27 11:05:32

Péter Szilágyi wrote:

> Are you aware of the work that went into boost XML 'bindings' in the past ?
>> I submitted an XML library supporting a DOM API, as well as some
>> xmlreader.
>> (The implementation was based on libxml2, as I believe it would be foolish
>> to attempt to reinvent that particular wheel.)
>

> No, actually being quite a new member, I don't know about previous attempts
> (didn't really find anything neither of the site nor the mailing lists)
>

> It would be great to get some momentum to review all past and present ideas
>> and build something on top of that. I may be able to help, if you are
>> interested.
>

> Where could I find these ideas/implementations that you mentioned?

Specifically, you may search for 'XML API' at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/boost/.

One point of contention is about what functionality an 'XML API' provides
(A mere parser ? Access to a DOM-like tree with various ways to build & manipulate it,
e.g. XPath, XInclude, validation, etc. ? An XML Reader API ?)

Another concern is / was about whether or not this may rely on existing libraries,
as well as how flexible it should be (e.g. in terms of the supported character types).

(I'd dare to say that those who propose to re-implement everything inside boost
either suffer the NotInventedHere syndrome, don't have a good understanding of
what XML is, or grossly underestimate the required work, not only to implement
it, but also to make it reasonably efficient.)

One (unofficial) submission I did is in http://boost-consulting.com/vault/
under 'Programming Interfaces'. That is a bit dated, though. I can send
you a more up-to-date version I have off-list, if you are interested.

Thanks,
                Stefan