From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-03 17:48:33

John Maddock wrote:
> Dear Boosters,
>
> It is a pleasure to announce that Boost will be applying as a mentoring
> organization for the upcoming Google Summer of Code 2007. There is a lot of
> preparation work to be done and little time to do it.
>
> A page has been set up at the Boost Wiki:
>
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Google_Summer_Of_Code_2007

Interestingly, 2 out of 7 proposals are extensions for the asio library.
These are:
- Implementing application level protocols using asio
- Implementing an ORB/RPC system using asio

First of all, both proposals don't say if they are server side or
client side projects.

Second, libhttp referenced in the first project already implements
some functionality of both proposals. More to the point, it is
released under BSD and Boost licenses and IS BASED on asio.
I don't know if the author is a student and willing to participate.

In my opinion, the second project is too big for one student. I
don't know much about ORB but CORBA standards assume that language
binding code is generated from IDL. This means that a student should
first implement a parser (or use existing license compatible parser)
and a code generator.
There is another approach for server side. Use Boost.Langbinding
syntax instead of IDL but this already if big enough for a separate
project.

So, I would spent time on libhttp rather than on these projects.

Other interesting project related to asio is asyncronous database
access.
Postgres and Sybase client libraries have async interface. Postgres
is probably only available on POSIX (I haven't checked it) but
Sybase has dbpoll on systems where connection fd (in unix terminology)
doesn't not exist.

--
Alexander Nasonov
http://nasonov.blogspot.com
	  | sed -e 's/^document\.write(.//' -e 's/.);$/ --/'  \
	        -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' -e 's/^More quotes from //' \