From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-06 15:07:38

Jeremy Pack wrote:
> If it is geared towards 3D development, it probably ought to provide
> conversions to and from the various constructs used for 3D
> transformations (things like rotation matrices, Euler angles etc.).
> Without that, I think it will just be duplicating functionality
> already in Boost, just with a different API.
>
> How hard would it be to make the Boost Quaternion classes work with
> the Matrix classes in Ublas?

Even the Ublas documents recommend not using it for small fixed sized
vectors and matrices.
It recommends tvmet.

What I need is a library with:

all types parameterized on a value_type
all or most operations optionally customizeable for efficiency or precision
concerns
conversion between types with different value_types
2, 3 and 4 component vector and point classes
2x2, 3x3, 3x4, 4x4 matrix classes
an euler paramaters class (normalized quaternions)
euler angles with clear semantics (preferably definable discussed in P.S.
below)
degrees and radians classes (i also need to define another similar type
myself and use it with the rest of the system)
trig functions to work with the degrees and radians types
cross and dot products for 3 component vectors
conversions between euler angles, euler parameters, and matrix
representations
transformation concatenation
vector transformations
an optimized implementation using all the tricks of Boost.Fusion and generic
programming in general
a drop-in replacement unoptimized naive implementation to ease debugging and
give a fallback for non-conforming compilers
a Boost compatible license

This is just off the top of my head but I think it's enough to show that
many libraries cover some of my needs but no existing library I have found
can cover all of them.

P.S.
Euler angles are the bain of my existence when writing math libraries and
reading reference material or other people's code.
The semantics or almost never clearly defined enough. If possible I'd like
any euler angles tuple to have the following configurable with details
documented.

First [yaw | pitch | roll] is applied as a [counter-clockwise | clockwise]
rotation around the [positive | negative] [x | y | z] axis.
Then [yaw | pitch | roll] is applied as a [counter-clockwise | clockwise]
rotation around the [positive | negative] [x | y | z] axis.
Finally [yaw | pitch | roll] is applied as a [counter-clockwise | clockwise]
rotation around the [positive | negative] [x | y | z] axis.

- Michael Marcin