From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-09 08:57:24

On 3/9/07, Darren Garvey <lists.drrngrvy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but the apparent difficulty of the different soc ideas
> varies quite a bit. As it is, I'm unsure if a cgi library that works with
> SCGI and FastCGI - one based on boost and asio specifically - would be
> considered a reasonable project for the SoC? I don't think there is
> currently any such library for c++ and I for one would find it very useful.
> Is it worth my while submitting a proposal? This is something I'd very much
> like to do, especially as part of the SoC.
>
> Incidentally, it's a project which _could_ be 'extended' into implementing
> unix domain sockets or pipes too as technically, these transport media
> should be supported by fastcgi applications.

What I would really like to see in asio is asynchronous FS IO (using
Ovelapped IO on windows, posix aio where available and a thread pool
everywhere else). There have been many requests for this
functionality, but Christopher didn't get around to implement it yet.

I think that such a project could be completed in a couple of months.
May be the student could even find the time to add pipe support :).
As soon as I find some time I'll add the proposal to the wiki.

gpd