From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-09 11:53:10

On 3/9/07, Giovanni Piero Deretta <gpderetta_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [snipped]
>
> What I would really like to see in asio is asynchronous FS IO (using
> Ovelapped IO on windows, posix aio where available and a thread pool
> everywhere else). There have been many requests for this
> functionality, but Christopher didn't get around to implement it yet.

I have something like that already. But not very well thoughout. On
both posix aio and overlapped IO. The biggest problem is that opening
a file is *very slow*, and must be done synchronously within a thread
pool.

> I think that such a project could be completed in a couple of months.
> May be the student could even find the time to add pipe support :).
> As soon as I find some time I'll add the proposal to the wiki.

I want to make a proposal for SoC in boost. But I was thinking about
something else (a better bcp utility), I believe boost would benefit
from better tools in this moment. Maybe I could apply for both, and
boost chooses what (if any) is better for boost.

--
Felipe Magno de Almeida