From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-16 12:15:56

> Sebastian Redl wrote:
>> Rene Rivera wrote:

>> as strings.
>>>>
>>> Since SQL is a standard language I don't see how using it
>> in strings
>>> makes it non-portable. Could you explain you reasoning?

>> Different DBs actually use different "dialects" of SQL. There
>> is a subset of SQL that can be used pretty portably, but also
>> a large amount of stuff that can't.

[snip]

Sure... But we could use that same argument to propose that we write C++
programs by writing an abstraction on top of C++ compilers in Python so
that we can remove the incompatibilities in the various C++
implementations. Having had the displeasure of dealing with PL/SQL there
is one serious drawback to the language embedded approach, it ties ones
to the capabilities of the abstraction.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything