From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-18 15:03:27

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sat Mar 17 2007, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hervé Brönnimann wrote:
>>> Rene: What do you mean by "tighter complexity bounds"? Just curious,
>> I meant tighter guarantees of the complexity of the algorithm, in big O.
>> The customary quicksort is usually O(NlogN) on most sequences, but it
>> can be as high as O(N2). The quicksort variant I have has a guaranteed
>> worst case of O(NlogN). The price for that guarantee is a larger K
>> overall. Which if one is using objects for which the comparison is
>> expensive is a better trade off.
>
> How is your version different from introsort?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introsort

It's different in that it's not introsort ;-) It's the 3-way
partitioning quicksort by Bentley and McIlroy
<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/local/reading/proceedings/spe91-95/spe/vol23/issue11/spe862jb.pdf>.
Analysis of the complexity in this presentation
<http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rs/talks/QuicksortIsOptimal.pdf>.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything