From: Herve Bronnimann (hervebronnimann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-18 17:45:04

Rene: you misunderstood the meaning of the word optimal in that algorithm. There is no version of quicksort which takes n log n time in the worst case, short of doing some selection on the pivot. The algorithm you quote, iirc, is optimal on average even when the distribution has many equal elements (which in itself is an achievement since almost any version of quicksort is not going to have an average time of n log n when many elements are equal). It can still (for some particular sequence) take quadratic time. Doug McIlroy gave such a sequence in the 80s (he calls it the killer sequence since it makes almost any variation of quicksort run in quadratic time). Please, take a look at John Valois revisited version of introsort. John no longer works in academia, but at some point he posted his code online and I believe it must still be out there. It's a good read ! Herve
--
Hervé

Please excuse misspellings and typos