From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-20 05:33:37

Robert Ramey said: (by the date of Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:51:12 -0800)

> So its not that I'm really opposed in principle,
> I just don't want to start mucking things up
> to deal with one unusual case which
> is the result of programmer error.

Robert, think about code refactoring, not about programmer's error.

My biggest application (yade, you heard about it already) is
constantly evolving, changing the class names is an important part of
that evolution.

Of course alternative solution, as Emil suggests, is not to change
boost::serialization, but to register the classes manually (with
manually chosen identifier string). But then we at least need a
BIG FAT warning in the documentation regarding the use of
BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT, and a possible pitfall: code refactoring loses
archive compatibility.

Anyway, we will see if changes proposed by Zach will produce that
ripple effect of small modifications, and the decide on what to do :)