From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-21 16:25:38

Younes M wrote:

> If anyone has any other suggestions on functionality, information to
> include in generated reports, user interface, aesthetics, coupling
> between unit tests and the frontend, coupling between the frontend and
> editors, or on any other topic, I would love to hear it.

There are a number of things I can think of that would make running boost tests
more useful and convenient. Among them:

* An easy way to introspect the test suite, i.e. display all tests, with
  metadata.

* An easy way to run subsets of tests.

* Enhanced test run annotations, to allow report generation to build a more
  meaningful test report (e.g. fold multiple equivalent test runs into one,
  only consider test runs from a given time window, or associated with a given
  revision, etc.)

* Support for running tests in parallel, or even on distributed hardware, if
  available.

* Cross-testing support (i.e. compiling with a cross-compiler toolchain on host A
  for target B, then uploading the test executables to B and run it there)

As it happens, I'm the maintainer of QMTest (http://www.codesourcery.com/qmtest),
which is a (Free) tool that addresses all of the above. I would be thrilled to
help looking into ways to use QMTest to drive boost test runs (and in fact, I
have been talking with Vladimir for quite a while to discuss ways to achieve this).

No matter how, I'm very much interested into enhancing boost's testing harness,
and would be more than happy to share my own experience with anybody interested.

Regards,
                Stefan